Friday, February 12, 2016

GPS Life Journey Story: Don Gunther (Former Executive of Global Corporation) 

I was fortunate to have a significant level of business success throughout the world.  I spent 40 years with the Bechtel Group, the world's leading engineering and construction firm.  We worked in 120 countries, engineering and building some the most complicated and largest structures that were ever constructed.  In the later stage of my career, the Engineer and, Construction Society awarded me the best executive award for the 1990's.  When I retired
I was Vice Chairman and was responsible for all of our business units around the world.  I thoroughly enjoyed my career with Bechtel.

I tried retirement with the big house and the big boat but soon realized I needed to contribute back more.  With some friends, I got heavily involved with the Naples Wine Festival and we raised over 100 million dollars for the local charities emphasizing help for the abused and abandoned children. In 2009, I also joined the board of the Immokalee Foundation which helps the impoverished migrant children of Immokalee, Florida to improve their education and help them find a suitable career plan and a job.

Although I was contributing my leadership time to my golf club and my community association and to two other non-profits, I still felt something was missing. That's when a friend introduced me to the GPS Life Journey.  It all started with a question to me that asked me if I knew why God put me on this earth. The GPS Journey helped me focus on the skills I had and how I might use them to help others and increase my impact in the world.  It helped me evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and through it, I began to identify where God would like to use me.

Coupled with my commitments to my family, I felt called to accept the Chairmanship of the Immokalee Foundation.  I have been working at this for the past year and I think we have improved the organization focus and are improving the chance of success for about 800 children.

The GPS Life Journey was very significant in my finding and fulfilling my life purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment