Friday, May 27, 2016

Out of the Mouths of Babes
When my son was three years old, he loved to build things with wooden blocks.  One day, on observing one of his creations, I complemented him on his architecture.  He responded by saying, “One day I want to build building with my name on it so people will have something to remember me by.”  After I picked myself off the floor, I marveled how a three year old could have such a sense of destiny and legacy since we never discussed such topics.  (Oh, wait a minute…no, that was quantum physics not destiny and legacy!)   Interestingly, Jonathan’s career has not included building architecture, but instead, human architecture.  He serves on the pastoral staff of a large San Francisco church.
Reflecting on that unusual conversation, I understood that what we will do in life and how we will be remembered is something that is deep within our DNA.  Life drives us to want to do something that is truly significant for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment